About this position
Take the first step to prepare for a career as a design consultant at 8th Light.
Do you want an opportunity to work with top companies solving interesting business challenges through technology? Do you want a job where you will face new challenges every single day and have continual opportunities to learn and teach while being surrounded by enthusiastic and energizing coworkers? Do you want to work in a supportive environment where curiosity is rewarded? Then talk to us!
At 8th Light we consider software development a craft. Our team of expert developers and designers hold the title of "Crafter" to reflect our dedication to quality, our emphasis on continual learning, and our belief that software is truly a craft - something that we take pride in, and value highly.
You've designed software before, maybe not in a professional setting, but you’re an avid learner and are highly driven to improve your skills. You understand the value of both giving and receiving mentorship. You’re excited to deepen the skills you already have and develop other design skills more broadly.
Before working on client work, all Designers complete an apprenticeship. The length of the apprenticeship varies based on previous experience and current skill set. We’re excited to work with someone who has some of the following skills and experience:
- Professional working experience (not necessarily in software).
- 1 - 2 years of relevant industry experience (this includes bootcamps).
- Some experience presenting designs to clients or stakeholders; you are able to explain your process and defend your decisions.
- Understanding of the design process and experience utilizing it to deliver quality work.
- Intermediate experience in at least one key skill area: UX Design, Visual Design or Front-end programming.
- Experience working within an established design system or code system.
- A basic understanding of the fundamentals of color, typography, and layout, as well as qualitative and quantitative research methods, usability testing, wireframing and prototyping.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively, and take initiative and be proactive about responding to both internal and client needs.
The apprenticeship for this position is an abbreviated but intense period of learning focused on holistic self-improvement and becoming a multi-disciplined designer. The apprenticeship is focused on UX, visual design, and front-end development. Strong applicants have experience in at least one of those three areas, and are interested in expanding their design skills in the other areas.
Under the guidance of an experienced mentor, apprentices will embark on a process designed to hone their design, client services, collaboration, leadership, and communication skills. They are expected to self-teach while committing to and completing a variety of projects. They learn to lead by example, provide and receive honest feedback, and answer the questions a client doesn't ask.
Towards the end of the apprenticeship, apprentices will spend time shadowing and pairing with designers on client projects. The apprenticeship period will conclude with a demonstration of the apprentice's work that will be evaluated by a review board comprised of 8th Light designers.
Upon successful completion of your apprenticeship, you'll join 8th Light's team of developers and designers as a Designer. In this role, you will:
- Work both individually and collaboratively with teammates to deliver quality design.
- Mentor apprentices and client employees based on 8th Light best practices.
- Work with clients to create design solutions, report progress, and plan future projects.
- Be comfortable writing HTML and CSS in accordance with the design team style guide.
- Demonstrate mastery over basic visual design skills: layout, color, and typography.
- Solve a problem by utilizing the UX design process.
- Conduct user and business research, including surveys and interviews and competitive analysis.
- Synthesize and analyze research, ideate solutions, create wireframes and prototypes, and conduct usability testing.
- Provide time estimates for design tasks at an individual level and complete tasks within the given time estimate.
- Continue to take an interest in their own growth, and utilize company learning time to develop new skills, deepen knowledge, and stay on top of design trends.
The apprenticeship is paid and includes health insurance as well as paid time off, commuter benefits and a company-issued laptop.
About 8th Light
We hold each other to the highest standards; and when we join a project, clients know what they're getting with 8th Light. It's not just our excellent team of dedicated professionals that sets us apart, but also our approach to delivering software and our roles as technical consultants.
We enjoy working with people who are empathetic, who are passionate about teaching and learning, and who value the work they do. If this approach to software development resonates with you, we'd love to talk.
8th Light is an equal opportunity employer.