About this position
Take the first step in your career as a design consultant at 8th Light.
At 8th Light we consider software development a craft. Our team of expert developers and designers hold the title of "Crafter" to reflect our dedication to quality, our emphasis on continual learning, and our belief that software is truly a craft - something that we take pride in, and value highly.
A Designer I has experience designing online experiences and many have done so in a professional setting. They generally have around one year of cumulative experience with UX, visual design, or front-end development - or a combination of the three - through school or work. We’re excited to work with someone who has some of the following skills and experience:
- Has conducted qualitative and quantitative user research that guide project outcomes.
- Collaborated with users and client stakeholders and translated insights into deliverables such as personas and user journeys.
- Has performed user testing to validate feature functionality and user flow process.
- Has created and led client-facing presentations about your design process; you are able to defend your decisions and answer questions about your process.
- Has utilized tools such as Sketch and InVision to create low and high fidelity clickable prototypes.
- Has studied and applied the fundamentals of color, typography, and layout to high-fidelity prototypes.
- Has written the HTML and CSS to create their portfolio site, or has other projects demonstrating an understanding of the basics of these languages.
- Strong communication skills.
- Avid learner.
The apprenticeship for this position is an abbreviated but intense period of learning focused on holistic self-improvement and becoming a multi-disciplined designer. The apprenticeship is focused on Visual Design, with additional time spent in UX and front-end development. Strong applicants are interested in expanding their Visual Design skills while also growing in the fields of UX and front-end development (HTML and CSS).
Under the guidance of an experienced mentor, apprentices will embark on a process designed to hone their programming, client services, collaboration, leadership, and communication skills. They are expected to self-teach while committing to and completing a variety of projects in different languages. They learn to lead by example, provide and receive honest feedback, and answer the questions a client doesn't ask.
Towards the end of the apprenticeship, apprentices will spend time shadowing and pairing with crafters on client projects. The apprenticeship period will conclude with a demonstration of the apprentice's work that will be evaluated by a review board comprised of 8th Light crafters.
Upon successful completion of your apprenticeship, you'll join 8th Light's team of developers and designers as a Designer. In this role, you will:
- Work both individually and collaboratively with teammates to deliver quality design.
- Mentor apprentices and client employees based on 8th Light best practices.
- Work with clients to create design solutions, report progress, and plan future projects.
About 8th Light
We hold each other to the highest standards; and when we join a project, clients know what they're getting with 8th Light. It's not just our excellent team of dedicated professionals that sets us apart, but also our approach to delivering software and our roles as technical consultants.
We enjoy working with people who are empathetic, who are passionate about teaching and learning, and who value the work they do. If this approach to software development resonates with you, we'd love to talk.
8th Light is an equal opportunity employer.