About this position
At 8th Light we consider software development a craft. Our team of expert developers and designers hold the title of "Crafter" to reflect our dedication to quality, our emphasis on continual learning, and our belief that software is truly a craft - something that we take pride in, and value highly.
You've designed software before in a professional setting and you’re an avid learner and are highly driven to improve your skills. You understand the value of both giving and receiving mentorship, and are ready to help your peers grow in the areas you’re strong in. You’re excited to deepen the skills you already have and develop other design skills more broadly.
- Professional working experience in software, with 3 - 5 years of relevant industry experience.
- Strong experience presenting designs to clients or stakeholders; you are able to explain your process and defend your decisions.
- Understanding of the design process and experience utilizing it to deliver quality design work.
- Intermediate to advanced experience in one or more key skill areas: UX Design, Visual Design or Front-end programming.
- Experience working within an established design system or code system.
- An intermediate or advanced understanding of the fundamentals of color, typography, and layout, as well as user and business research methods.
- The ability to analyze and synthesize research, and use research to guide brainstorming sessions that uncover strong solutions.
- Strong skills around usability testing, wireframing and prototyping.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- The ability to take initiative and be proactive about responding to both internal and client needs.
Upon successful completion of your apprenticeship, you'll join 8th Light's team of developers and designers as a Lead Designer. In this role, you will:
- Work both individually and collaboratively with teammates to deliver quality design.
- Mentor apprentices and client employees based on 8th Light best practices.
- Work with clients to create design solutions, report progress, and plan future projects.
- Be comfortable writing HTML and CSS in accordance with the design team style guide.
- Demonstrate mastery over the full design process, including research, research synthesis, ideation and delivery through wireframes and usability testing.
- Showcase solid understanding of the visual design fundamentals of color, typography and layout.
- Identify, plan, and design for complex use cases.
- Lead design meetings with stakeholders to align the team on requirements; manage project scope; plan the major milestones of a project and delegate work.
- Continue to take an interest in their own growth, and utilize company learning time to develop new skills, deepen knowledge, and stay on top of design trends.
About 8th Light
We hold each other to the highest standards; and when we join a project, clients know what they're getting with 8th Light. It's not just our excellent team of dedicated professionals that sets us apart, but also our approach to delivering software and our roles as technical consultants.
We enjoy working with people who are empathetic, who are passionate about teaching and learning, and who value the work they do. If this approach to software development resonates with you, we'd love to talk.
8th Light is an equal opportunity employer.