Learning & Development Specialist
About this position
Are you a Learning and Development professional who dreams of working in a true learning environment? Do you want a job where you will face new challenges every single day and have continual opportunities to learn and teach while being surrounded by enthusiastic and energizing coworkers? Do you want to work in a supportive environment where curiosity is the norm? Then talk to us!
At 8th Light we consider software development a craft. Our team of expert developers and designers hold the title of "Crafter" to reflect our dedication to quality, our emphasis on continual learning, and our belief that software is truly a craft - something that we take pride in, and value highly. We invest in our employees by providing paid apprenticeships that result in best-in-class talent delivering quality solutions to our clients. We also provide time during the week for self study or group learning. We're looking for someone to help us feed our voracious hunger for learning.
- Determine training needs across the organization and design or source, and implement all training in a responsible manner adhering to our code of conduct and values:
- Leadership development
- Management skills
- Strategic planning
- Communication skills
- Relationship building
- Speaking and writing
- Construct/coordinate formal learning opportunities for 10% time (employees get Friday afternoons for learning and development activities) and community engagement.
- Administer our internal mentoring program, recruiting and training mentors, and gathering and acting upon feedback from participants
- Own mentoring/leadership development programs.
- Participate in evolving our apprenticeship curriculum, bringing best practices in adult learning.
- Create ongoing learning programming (book clubs, speaker series…).
- Select and manage ongoing relationships with external consultants and training providers.
- Advise businesses on best practices in adult learning.
- Partner with Consulting and Training business on exploring potential educational product and service offerings.
Preferred skills and experience:
- 5+ years working in Learning and Development.
- Strong project management, communication, presentation, facilitation, and influencing skills.
- Thrives in fast-paced, self-directed environment.
- Has successfully created and implemented multi-location, multi-media training programs.
- Experienced building and delivering effective training to people in a range of roles and levels.
Travel requirements: If not based in Chicago, you’ll need to make periodic visits to our headquarters. You might visit our other offices once or twice a year.
8th Light is an equal opportunity employer.