Resident Apprentice - Chicago
About this position
Take the first step in your career as a design consultant at 8th Light.
Resident Designers have experience designing online experiences and many have done so in a professional setting. They generally have around one year of cumulative experience with UX, visual design of front-end development, or a combination of the three, through school or work. We’re excited to work with someone who has some of the following skills and experience:
- Has conducted qualitative and quantitative user research that guide project outcomes.
- Collaborated with users and client stakeholders and translated insights into deliverables such as personas and user journeys.
- Has performed user testing to validate feature functionality and user flow process.
- Has created and led client-facing presentations about your design process; you are able to defend your decisions and answer questions about your process.
- Has utilized tools such as Sketch and InVision to create low and high fidelity clickable prototypes.
- Has studied and applied the fundamentals of color, typography, and layout to high-fidelity prototypes.
- Has written the HTML and CSS to create their portfolio site, or has other projects demonstrating an understanding of the basics of these languages.
- Strong communication skills.
- Avid learner.
The UX Design Apprenticeship is an intense period of learning focused on holistic self-improvement and becoming a multi-disciplined designer. The apprenticeship is focused on UX, with additional time spent in visual design and front-end development. Strong applicants are designers who are interested in expanding their UX skills while also growing in the fields of visual design and front-end development (HTML and CSS).
Throughout their apprenticeship, residents will become comfortable applying the principles and practices of UX design in many different settings, from mobile apps to industry-specific software. They gain theoretical knowledge through self-study, and learn to apply those technical skills while collaborating with other apprentices on projects.
Apprentices will receive support, guidance, and mentorship to hone their design, client services, collaboration, leadership, and communication skills and become successful design consultants.
Towards the end of the apprenticeship, apprentices will spend time shadowing and pairing with crafters on client projects. The apprenticeship period will conclude with a demonstration of the apprentice's work that will be evaluated by a review board comprised of 8th Light crafters.