About this position
Lead our software crafters in maximizing their impact on client projects.
At 8th Light we consider software development a craft. Our team of expert developers and designers hold the title of "Crafter" to reflect our commitment to quality, our emphasis on continual learning, and our belief that software is truly a craft - something that we take pride in and pay great attention to.
A Consulting Crafter has worked as a professional software developer for multiple years and has experience managing teams of developers. This individual typically possesses the following skills and traits before joining 8th Light as a paid apprentice:
- Has delivered high-quality software as a developer on a team.
- Has demonstrated ability to lead projects.
- Very comfortable with Test-Driven Development and agile methodologies.
- Excellent communication skills and desire to build relationships in the software community.
- Avid learner. Highly driven to improve their skills.
Expectations of a Consulting Crafter
In this role, expectations include:
- Manage high-level project roadmaps and serve as the principal consultant for large engagements.
- Identify business opportunities and work with directors to develop new service lines.
- Mentor project leaders and other crafters in communication and management skills.
Joining 8th Light
We are fully committed to building the best team and providing continuous learning to our Crafters. One of the ways we demonstrate this commitment is through our apprenticeship program. Every Crafter begins their time at 8th Light with a period of customized, focused learning. This apprenticeship provides even the most experienced software developers with the opportunity to hone their skills, delve into new technologies and become a better consultant.
About 8th Light
We hold each other to the highest standards; and when we join a project, clients know what they're getting with 8th Light. It's not just our excellent team of dedicated professionals that sets us apart, but also our approach to delivering software and our roles as technical consultants.
We enjoy working with people who are empathetic, who are passionate about teaching and learning, and who value the work they do. If this approach to software development resonates with you, we'd love to talk.