About this position
Share your expertise with a community of software crafters.
At 8th Light we consider software development a craft. Our team of expert developers and designers hold the title of "Crafter" to reflect our dedication to quality, our emphasis on continual learning, and our belief that software is truly a craft—something that we take pride in, and value highly.
A Principal Crafter has shown long-term repeated success on a variety of projects. You can be the go-to experienced leader for any software development engagement. You have a broad and deep range of expertise that allows you to kick off new client engagements where you can make an immediate impact and lay a strong foundation for future growth.
A Principal Crafter typically possesses the following skills and traits:
- Embraces difficult and challenging projects and environments.
- Has delivered high-quality software as a developer on a team.
- Has demonstrated ability to lead projects.
- Very knowledgeable of Test-Driven Development and agile methodologies.
- Excellent communication skills and desire to build relationships in the software community.
- Avid learner. Highly driven to improve their skills.
- Has successfully contributed to at least one project in each of these categories:
- Language Paradigms: Statically-typed OO, Dynamically-typed OO, Functional, Browser-based
- Environments: API, Mobile, Single-page App
In this role, expectations include:
- Stabilizes tenuous engagements, and leads the team to make improvements to their environment.
- Delivers high quality work on short timelines, and communicates clearly and effectively.
- Mentors Crafters on their project and supports their professional growth.
- Identifies and resolves blockers to team progress.
- Makes an immediate significant contribution to a new project, building meaningful trust rapidly with client.
- Manage high-level project roadmaps and serve as the principal consultant for large engagements.
About 8th Light
We hold each other to the highest standards; and when we join a project, clients know what they're getting with 8th Light. It's not just our excellent team of dedicated professionals that sets us apart, but also our approach to delivering software and our roles as technical consultants.
We enjoy working with people who are empathetic, who are passionate about teaching and learning, and who value the work they do. If this approach to software development resonates with you, we'd love to talk.
8th Light is an equal opportunity employer.